FLOODED: DOJ investigates what really happened to Mar-a-Lago data

FLOODED: DOJ investigates what really happened to Mar-a-Lago data

The FBI requested security footage from Mar-a-Lago to see what had happened to documents removed from the White House — and then there was a mysterious flood.

The security footage at Donald Trump’s Florida resort is a key component in the investigation into how documents were handled by the former president and his team, including who accessed them and when and where they were moved.

There have been multiple incidents about which the FBI wants to know more, including a flood that could be seen as an attempt to destroy records.

The official story is that a maintenance worker — coincidentally, the same unnamed individual who was helping Walter Nauta (the Trump employee who turned whistleblower) move boxes of documents — was draining the pool last August, and by some accident, the water ended up in a room where computers connected to the security system are located.

The FBI may not be buying it — they have asked at least one witness questions about what really happened.

It’s one in a string of events that the FBI and the public are being asked to accept as total coincidences and innocent events.

More than one of them seems to center on one man. CNN reports:

“Prosecutors from the special counsel’s office have focused their obstruction inquiries around Trump, Trump’s body man Walt Nauta and a maintenance worker who helped Nauta move boxes of classified documents ahead of federal agents searching the property last summer…The sources say that the maintenance worker is the person who drained the pool that led to the flooding of the IT room where the surveillance footage was held.”

Now, the individual who drained the pool was not named in this particular report.

He was only identified as a maintenance worker who was seen on tape helping Nauta move boxes.

However, there’s another report from earlier this year naming an individual caught on tape helping Nauta move boxes and who was questioned about particularly suspicious activity — Carlos Deoliveira.

Deoliveira was the subject of questions about a call he reportedly made to Yuscil Taveras, an IT worker at Mar-a-Lago, according to the New York Times.

Taveras was reportedly asked about the content and context of that call.

Another report does not name the employees in question, but seems to reference the same call, and indicates that the content centered around how the security systems worked, including how long they kept data, according to the Washington Post.

That call was made in July, and the suspicious flooding followed in October.

Stephanie Bazzle

Steph Bazzle is a news writer who covers politics and theocracy, always aiming for a world free from extremism and authoritarianism. Follow Steph on Twitter @imjustasteph. Sign up for all of her stories to be delivered to your inbox here: