July 3, 2022

OFF THE HOOK: The DOJ just made an inexplicable decision about Mark Meadows & Dan Scavino Jr.

OFF THE HOOK: The DOJ just made an inexplicable decision about Mark Meadows & Dan Scavino Jr.

Sponsored Links

The Department of Justice has decided not to prosecute two former Trump advisers, former Chief of Staff Mark Meadows and former White House Deputy Chief of Staff for Communications Dan Scavino, for contempt of Congress, ignoring the recommendation of the House Select Committee on January 6th. The failure by the DOJ to indict the pair, each of whom has defied a subpoena from the committee, was called “puzzling” by the committee’s Chairman, Bennie Thompson (D-NY), and its Vice-Chair Liz Cheney (R-WY).

OW-Advertisement

A joint statement released by the committee leaders said:

“Mr. Meadows and Mr. Scavino unquestionably have relevant knowledge about President Trump’s role in the efforts to overturn the 2020 election and the events of January 6th. We hope the Department provides greater clarity on this matter.”

The statement goes on to say that “no one is above the law.” Unfortunately, the Justice Department isn’t sending that message with their decision.

Coming just hours after the indictment and subsequent arrest of Peter Navarro, another Trump White House official, there was a glimmer of hope among those calling for Merrick Garland and the DOJ to ramp up its prosecutorial efforts against those actively involved in the GOP’s attempts to overturn the 2020 election.

On December 8th, 2021, Cheney and Thompson released a statement calling for Meadows’ prosecution after the former congressman and White House Chief of Staff failed to honor his previously agreed-upon commitment to testify before the committee.

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

“Mr. Meadow’s flawed lawsuit won’t succeed at slowing down the Select Committee’s investigation or stopping us from getting the information we’re seeking. The Select Committee will meet next week to advance a report recommending that the House cite Mr. Meadows for contempt of Congress and refer him to the Department of Justice for prosecution,” Cheney and Thompson said in a statement back then.

But after six months and the uncovering of overwhelming evidence of his key involvement in attempts to overturn President Joe Biden’s victory – the Justice Department has decided not to prosecute. Over 3000 text messages sent by Meadows, GOP politicians, Fox News hosts, and various well-connected Republican operatives reveal just how deep and far-reaching the conspiracy to subvert this country’s democracy went. The texts also indicated that Meadows was a central part of the conspiracy.

With all we now know, the DOJ’s refusal to act in the case of Meadows and Scavino will only bolster the already brazen, craven, and corrupt actions of all those involved, none of whom have yet to face the consequences of their illegal actions.

Just when the public thought that Trump’s coup conspiracy couldn’t get any worse, the upcoming televised January 6th Committee hearings will most assuredly remind us — and hopefully the DOJ— that it was even worse than we thought.

Original reporting by Alan Feuer and 

Follow Ty Ross on Twitter @cooltxchick

Ty Ross

News journalist for Washington Press and Occupy Democrats.

Sponsored Links