White House Staff Secretary Rob Porter resigned this week amidst allegations that he physically assaulted two former wives. The Staff Secretary is the person tasked with controlling the president’s schedule and the flow of papers to the Resolute desk.
Colbie Holderness, a senior analyst for the federal government, was married to Porter for 5 years. She alleges repeated physical and emotional abuse at his hands. The accusations come on the tail of a similar story from Porter’s second wife Jennifer Willoughby. Porter is accused of punching, kicking, and choking the women.
“I was his first wife and it wasn’t until there was a second wife and then a long-time girlfriend reaching out to me, who was experiencing some weird things. I started to realize that he keeps getting away with it. It’s a pattern now, it hasn’t gone away,” Holderness said to The Daily Mail.
Given the administration’s horrendous track record with treatment and behavior towards women, it’s not particularly surprising that the White House knew about the allegations of Porter and did nothing for so long. Chief of Staff John Kelly has found himself in hot water for keeping Porter on despite knowing about the credible allegations of abuse.
CBS News reports that he was allowed to work for the administration this entire past year, despite the fact that they were warned of his alleged past behavior. The resignation only finally occurred because photos of Porter’s ex-wives surfaced in which their faces had been brutally bruised.
Senior White House aide Rob Porter physically assaulted two ex-wives, they tell @theintercept. Full story to come in the morning.
His first wife, Colbie Holderness, provided these photos from a vacation they took together in Florence, Italy: pic.twitter.com/tl3TbyGA8Y
— Ryan Grim (@ryangrim) February 7, 2018
Porter is just the latest member of the Trump team to be outted as a violent misogynist. The president himself has admitted to sexual assault on tape, been accused by numerous women of the same, and faced allegations that he raped a 13-year-old girl. Given these facts, it’s perhaps not surprising that Trump gave such a disgusting defense of Porter today.
The president wished Porter well and a successful career, praised his work ethic, and pointed out that Porter claims he’s innocent. Once again, Trump has aligned himself with the predator over the victims. The president is a coward who regularly condones and ignores the mistreatment of women.
NEW: President Trump says former White House Staff Secretary Rob Porter "says he's innocent and I think you have to remember that … we absolutely wish him well." Porter resigned from his role amid allegations of abuse https://t.co/qVQ3I4fZx3 (corrects quote) pic.twitter.com/ZfzHctl3S0
— CBS News (@CBSNews) February 9, 2018