White House Staff Secretary Rob Porter resigned today amidst allegations that he physically assaulted two former wives, reports The Daily Mail.
What to Do After a Metastatic Breast Cancer Diagnosis
There's Something Creepy About This Old Photo
Tips and Tricks
35 Common Body Languages That Says 'I Love You' #1 Is So Funny
The Staff Secretary is the person tasked with controlling the president’s schedule and the flow of papers to the Resolute desk. The Post adds that Porter worked closely with Chief of Staff John Kelly.
White House Press Secretary and professional liar Sarah Huckabee Sanders read a statement from Porter at today’s press briefing in which he denied the allegations.
Sanders defended Porter’s work performance. She also explained he wouldn’t leave immediately so that he could help find and acclimate his successor. Once again, the Trump team has shown a disgusting lenience towards accused abusers of women. Porter should be shown the door immediately.
White House press secretary Sarah Sanders reads a statement from Rob Porter, who denies the allegations by his former wives of domestic abuse, but announces he is leaving the White House https://t.co/QG4v0kK3uM pic.twitter.com/UiIlkZtuPB
— CNN (@CNN) February 7, 2018
Porter is just the latest member of the Trump team to be outted as a violent misogynist. The president himself has admitted to sexual assault on tape, been accused by numerous women of the same, and faced allegations that he raped a 13-year-old girl.
Colbie Holderness, a senior analyst for the federal government, was married to Porter for 5 years. She alleges repeated physical and emotional abuse at his hands. The accusations come on the tail of a similar story from Porter’s second wife Jennifer Willoughby. Porter is accused of punching and choking the women.
“I was his first wife and it wasn’t until there was a second wife and then a long-time girlfriend reaching out to me, who was experiencing some weird things. I started to realize that he keeps getting away with it. It’s a pattern now, it hasn’t gone away,” Holderness said to The Daily Mail.
Given the administration’s horrendous track record with treatment and behavior towards women, it’s not particularly surprising that the White House knew about the allegations of Porter and did nothing for so long.
CBS News reports that he was allowed to work for the administration this entire past year, despite the fact that they were warned of his alleged past behavior. The resignation only finally occurred because photos of Porter’s ex-wives surfaced in which their faces had been brutally bruised.
Senior White House aide Rob Porter physically assaulted two ex-wives, they tell @theintercept. Full story to come in the morning.
His first wife, Colbie Holderness, provided these photos from a vacation they took together in Florence, Italy: pic.twitter.com/tl3TbyGA8Y
— Ryan Grim (@ryangrim) February 7, 2018
Porter is just the latest departure in an administration that has an unprecedented problem with hemorrhaging staff. Once again, it’s been shown that despite his promises, Trump did not hire the very best, but the absolute, lowest, most garbage people imaginable.
He’s a sexual predator surrounded by abusive, hateful, sexist cretins. It’s good to see another one kicked to the curb, but patriotic Americans can’t rest until Trump himself is booted from 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue as well.
— Christina Wilkie (@christinawilkie) February 7, 2018